Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Links to pieces on the history of the Crimean Tatars

A large part of my PhD dissertation dealt with the history of the Crimean Tatars during Soviet rule. Most of the sources I used were in Russian, but here is a short bibliography of books in English I compiled on their history. I also compiled a short brief timeline of the major events in the history of the Crimean Tatars from 1917-1994 that can be found here. The timeline is meant to go along with this conference paper I wrote for the 9th ASN Conference at Columbia University on 17 April 2004. It was later published in Ukrainian Quarterly vol. 60, no. 1-2, Spring/Summer 2004. In addition to my works, a good source of collected scholarly material on the Crimean Tatars can be found here. Despite the media focus on the ethnic Russians and their current demographic majority in the peninsula, it is impossible to properly understand Crimea without understanding the history of its indigenous people.

No comments: