Friday, October 25, 2013

New Article Accepted for Publication

I just got an e-mail from a journal editor in the US informing me that an article of mine has been accepted for publication. The journal in question is the Journal of Race, Ethnicity, and Religion and my article is "Colonialism in one Country: The Deported Peoples of the USSR as an Example of Internal Colonialism." This is an article whose intellectual origins stretches back a few years, but spent a lot of time sitting in my hard drive doing nothing. I happen to be big fan of reviving ideas like internal colonialism that have essentially disappeared for decades from the scholarly discourse. As far as I can tell they disappear not because they are no longer useful, but because scholars lose interest in pursuing them in favor of doing other things. I think there are a lot interesting ideas from the 1960s and 1970s that could be picked up and revived as interpretive frameworks for history. But, everybody else seems to want to be on the cutting edge of new ideas regardless of whether they are useful or not. I am not sure when the article will actually see publication.  From the looks of their website it looks like it will be published sometime in 2014. These things always take time. But, This is a good piece of news for me in an otherwise rather frustrating day.

No comments: