Monday, July 02, 2007

Behind the Orange Curtain

I am still in Orange County California waiting for my visa. I should get it sometime next week. In the meantime I have been doing a lot of reading for the classes I will be teaching this fall. I managed to find most of what I need at the UCI library.

Last week I went with my mother to the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. Finding a parking space was almost impossible. But, the actual event was well worth seeing. The people really did look like works of art.

Yesterday, I went with my brother and sister in law to Little Gaza. I had expected it to be bigger. It is really only about half a dozen small shopping centers. Little Gaza also still has a fair number of Mexican and Chinese places mixed in among the Arabic shops and cafes. I was expecting it to be almost all Arab.

Other than that I have not done much. Orange County is not an international hot spot like Arivaca. It does, however, have a better selection of ethnic restaurants.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, Arivaca is THE place to be if you have any ethnicity.

What's this Pageant of the Masters business?

We miss you!

J. Otto Pohl said...

I am rather confused by the first sentence of this comment. What does it mean?

The Pageant of the Masters is a 75 year old annual event. People pose as works of art, either sculptures or paintings. The way they do the lighting they really do look like figures painted on a flat surface.

Who is this we that misses me?

KRISTIN said...

The Pageant of the Masters sure sounds fascinating!