Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Top Ten Things I will Miss About Arivaca

Well, I suppose I should start putting down my final impressions of Arivaca for prosperity. I have less than two weeks left here. It will probably be quite some time before I return to visit. So during the next two weeks I am going to post a series of entries on what these last two years in Arivaca have meant to me. I am starting out with a list which will serve as a kind of outline for these posts.

1. My uncle

2. The rest of the very friendly and helpful people here

3. The library

4. The peace and quiet

5. The potlucks

6. The free concerts

7. The free lectures

8. The Arivaca Film Festival

9. The warm and dry weather

10. Blaster

3 comments:

Sharon E. Herbert said...

Arivaca sounds like a great community. I'm glad to see the library is high on your list. Good luck with your transition.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Sharon, Arivaca has a great library. The librarians are absolutely fantastic. They were very helpful which contrasts sharply with what I was used to from university librarians during graduate school. They managed to get me a lot of obscure scholarly books in Russian and German via interlibrary loan. I certainly would have found life here less intellectually stimulating without the library.

The transition is going to be a big one. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan will be very different from Arivaca. Just getting used to paved roads again may take so doing. ;-)

J. Otto Pohl said...

Oops, I meant getting used to paved roads again may take some doing.