Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Return of the Toads

Yesterday I finished filling in all the trenches containing our newly fixed powerlines. I had to move a lot of dirt from big piles by wheelbarrow and build a couple of berms to protect the pipes containing the wires. The mounds of dirt I moved had a lot of little toads burrowing in them. I think they were getting ready to hibernate. Elsewhere on the ranch I have also noticed the return of the toads. I had to expel one clever toad from my bedroom twice. I have no idea how he got up the stairs to the second floor. I think maybe he caught a ride on the dog. I was worried that with the monsoons being so late that we were not going to get many toads this year. Like everybody else in Arivaca they just showed up late. Which is a lot better than never.

No comments: